Saturday, March 04, 2006

28 sentences

A dear friend from college did an exercise on her blog where she described each year of her life in one sentence (or a little more). My attempt:

1. I was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico at Kirtland AirForce Base where both of my parents were stationed.
2. We move to Tucson, Arizona and my little brother Joshua is born on the second to last day of the year.
3. We move to Ohio where my dad is stationed at Wright Patterson AirForce Base.
4. My mom tells me that little girls who can't tie their shoes aren't allowed to go to kindergarten and within seconds I become a world-class shoe tyer.
5. The wonderful world of academics begins with Mrs. Grimshaw's class and I learn that a pencil is not a circle, it's a cylinder.
6. On to first grade and reading, and my dad gets transferred to Los Angeles.
7. Second grade, Mrs. Wertz's class, had probably what was my first migraine and threw up all over my spelling book. Thad was the kid in front of me and he was not pleased.
8. My step-sister Mattie is born.
9. We move to Yellow Springs, a hippie oasis in the middle of Ohio, I spend nearly the entire summer at my grandmother's in NY, every minute of it in the pool with my cousins.
10. 4th grade, new school, new short hair cut, favorite outfit ever: purple jeans with black splatter pegged with blue sock on one foot, purple on the other, pulled up over the jeans, of course.
11. Recess is a bore, I ask for extra reading and math work so I can stay inside with the teacher.
12. Dad moves back to Ohio, and my brother and I help him pick out a house.
13. I go away to Friends Music Camp for a month, and it turns out to be the place that affects me for the rest of my life. Several amazing friends are gained while playing piano and singing every day for a month.
14. I hate social school and love academics.
15. I get my first job at the Organic Grocery and love every minute of it.
16. I learn to like, maybe even love, tofu, and I join the volunteer fire department and EMS service where I spend every free moment, I'm also the captain of my basketball team.
17. Brown accepted me into a summer program for science geeks where I meet Hadi and Anne, who still inspire me and make me laugh nearly 12 years later.
18. College. Smith College. Freedom and knowledge and women.
19. I give up playing basketball in college, one of the most heart-breaking decisions I've ever made.
20. I learn spanish from an amazing professor whom I still adore.
21. Graduation from college: I cry when I drive away with my car packed to the gills, but I cannot have stayed any longer. It's the perfect breakup. I also go sky diving for the first time.
22. The first year of grad school begins and I can barely force myself to go in to a patient's room.
23. The first year of grad school ends and just 30 days later the second year begins. I also start dating Tracy, my future wife.
24. Tracy moves in and the last year of grad school starts. My spanish improves exponentially with clinical time.
25. I land my first job and feel exhausted for the first 6 months straight, but have the opportunity to learn from two amazing doctors.
26. I get engaged after seeing a UConn women's basketball game (go ahead, laugh).
27. I get married in front of 200 of our closest friends and family, and have the best day of my life (so far). My grandmother and Tracy's grandfather both pass away after long illnesses. We buy a house in less than 4 weeks and move in with the help of some seriously dedicated family members and friends.
28. We get a civil union on the first day they are legal in the state of Connecticut.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're AMAZING and i loved reading your simplified biography.

anne (i forgot my password)

Anonymous said...

Katy, reading your 28-line summary brought tears to my eyes.

I knew that girl!

I remember her on a dew-soaked soccer field one warm summer midnight, sitting in a circle amongst some of my best friends, all of us laughing at the thrill of having snuck out of our dorms. I remember her co-starring with me in the openeing scene of a musical named Timeless where we were "born" from a blossoming yin-yang seed.

This April while I was back home visiting my father in Ohio I was rummaging through my childhood bedroom when I discovered a handwritten letter that I had addressed to her but, regretfully, never managed to send.

It's from a scrawny 14 year-old boy, and it's signed Jeremy Cooper.

Anonymous said...

my first ever comment to a blog, so i'm glad it's to yours. 12 years? akh. well, thank goodness they have included you. hnd