Sunday, May 02, 2010

Baby's breath

ML,

I want to write this...
before it changes.
Before you start eating
more types of foods...
Before you start cutting teeth...
Before you fulfill your carnivorous destiny...
Before some enzymes in your digestive track mature...

It's a little weird to admit this, but
I love your breath...

It's amazing!

I wanna stick my nose inside your mouth and breathe deeply.
I'd like to bottle the scent and sniff it again and again
whenever I need a little fix
for years...

I don't know what it is...
The smells of rice and cream,
and
fresh butter...
on warm rolls...
and
innocence...
and
water...
after you've been sweating...
and
recently cut grass floating on a dry summer breeze...
and
new tennis balls...

O.
M.
G.

It's indescribably yummy!
I don't ever want it to change.

3 comments:

amber said...

i used to looooooove avonlea's breath and would literally just sit with my nose in her mouth as long as she would let me!
i still love it, but it just isn't quite the same. :)

Tracy said...

yes. Katy says I'm weird.
she's just not that into good smells...

MamaDanaMunga said...

I understand. Thirty something years ago I wrote in Gret's baby book that I loved the smell of her baby breath and wished I could bottle it...