Friday, July 13, 2012

Shout out to the man

Today is my Dad's birthday.

He was 19 when I was born, so in many ways, we were kids together. He's taught me more things than i can possibly describe here, but I'll put forward a few:
- How to loaf around and then feel bad that I didn't use my time more productively.
-How to get distracted by any tiny little lint on the carpet, or any piece of reading material in the bathroom.
- How to be funny, make jokes, and use laughter to bring people together.
- How to use words and self depreciating humor to expose the bullying behavior of bullies without getting beat up (much).
- How to try to fix things before you throw them away.
- How to accept people for who they are and not get shocked when they do the same things over and over again.
- How to give people the benefit of the doubt even when you have to give them the benefit of the doubt over and over and over again.
- How to appreciate the satisfaction that comes from building something or finishing a big job, or hanging out with a small group of close friends.
- How to be loyal, accommodating, and respectful.
- How to walk away or say goodbye when you've had enough of others who might not know how to be loyal, accommodating, and respectful.
- To appreciate music, art AND science
– To appreciate a good political debate but then get aggravated if it goes on for too long.
– How to stand up in front of a room full or a church full or an auditorium full of people and captivate the crowd; or to act like a fool trying.
- How to speak my mind, without abandoning the premise that others have a point to make as well.
- How to look out for the little guy.
- How to strive for success without stealing, or cheating, or swindling others.
– How to speak from your heart.
– How to oscillate (sometimes erratically) between extreme generosity and extreme stubbornness.
– How to be too hard on yourself.
- How to give really GREAT hugs.

Also from him, I got my holiday/special-event gift-giving deficits. I have difficulty figuring out what to get the man, and the few gift ideas I had, have not yet come to fruition at this late hour. In our respective homes, my dad and I each have a drawer full of cards that we purchased with good intentions for specific people and celebrations, that never got written out or sent (this drives our wives crazy.)

Chip-Block.
Apple-Tree.
I couldn't be luckier.
Happy birthday, sweet papa.
'Tis a day to celebrate indeed!!!

No comments: