Thursday, August 31, 2006

Credit

I love credit card commercials.

I don't love them in the way that I love cotton commercials, or nike commercials (you know, the ones that promote girls in sport, or the virtue of kids sports, or just shoes with sappy music). Those make me tear up pretty much everytime.

Credit card commercials on the other hand are just entertaining. Whoever came up with the mastercard masterpiece should be living a life on a beach with hot men and women with impeccable tans bringing them drinks every half hour, massages every day, etc. I'm almost as impressed with American Express "this is my card" campaign. First they included a gay woman in their ranks (Ellen), then they came up with the Andy Roddick vs. Pong commercial. Since Pong is the hallmark game of an entire generation, I can only sit back, shake my head, and mutter, "Genius".

(as a side note, you know that commercial encouraging people to use debit cards instead of checks? the one where the person has to wait for hours because their writing a check instead of using debit? nearly that exact thing happened to me in the post office the other day - first the woman needed help understanding that her mail wasn't at this p.o., it was at the OTHER one, then she wanted to look at her options for stamps (blankets or vegetables???), then she wanted to know how much delivery confirmation was, and then... she pulled out her check book. *sigh* being able to meditate in public is an important skill.)

No comments: