Saturday, September 09, 2006

I'll take that as a compliment!


I've heard this many many many times: "I know you from somewhere....", followed by a consternating look for a few minutes. Then the person usually yells out "Nancy Kerrigan!", or "Nurse Hathaway!", or "that girl from Much Ado About Nothing!" as if they had just found the solution to world peace and were yelling "Eureka!".

This week at work I got a new version of "Eureka!" and I liked it far better than any of the others. One of my dear sweet geriatric patients said to me (as I was attempting to determine the extent of the cellulitis on his leg), "You know, ever since you came in that first day I was here, I've been trying to figure out who you look like.... And I finally figured it out." Oh god, I thought, who am I today? "SUE BIRD!", he yelled, as I looked up and realized that his T-shirt was from the Connecticut Sun. (The elderly in this state are truly fanatic women's basketball fans)

I think it had more to do with my curly ponytail than actual looks, and I'm pretty sure my patient is unaware of my Sue Bird-esque basketball skills*, but I think I'll take it as my favorite comparison to date. I mean, I have always wanted to be Sue Bird!


*When I say I have "Sue Bird-esque basketball skills", what I mean is, I could probably keep up with her while running down the court. If I didn't have the ball. And neither did she. I guess what I really mean is that when I'm playing basketball I like to pretend that I could be Sue Bird. If Sue Bird were in high school still. Ok, junior high. Or maybe even 4th grade.

No comments: