Saturday, March 04, 2006

Evolution

There is almost always a din of noise inside my head. It has something to do with always trying to get more done in less time and not spending enough time relaxing. Strangely enough, I found a quote that makes me stop (if only for a few minutes) in an article about evolution v. intelligent design:

"Organisms aren't trying to match any 'independently given pattern': evolution has no goal, and the history of life isn't trying to get anywhere." (H. Allen Orr)

Maybe I shouldn't be trying to get anywhere either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now we’re talking! This is the kind of bait that entices my kind of fish (ethereal). I hope you haven’t deposited all your stock in H. Allen Orr’s bank. What if he’s wrong? (Not to bring the migraines back, or anything, but he’s wrong.) Keep reading, keep philosophizing, and keep evolving toward the ‘truth’ (yes, that’s the goal – if we don’t seek the truth, we de-evolve – not pretty.)

p.s. Say hi to the ‘rents for me. The Fairy Godmother

Anonymous said...

What??