Thursday, December 28, 2006

Good luck and such

My mom and I fairly superstitious. We don't put shoes on tables (in fact it makes me cringe when Tracy does it, to the point where I think she actually thinks twice before doing it now), we harbor a cautious belief that the stars are running our lives (or at least influencing them), and we find meaning in many things are probably totally unrelated. If nothing else, it makes life more interesting.

During a conversation with my mom recently I mentioned that I love the sound of geese flying over our house because it reminds me of when I was a kid and the geese would fly low enough to hear the air moving around their wings. She responded that it was good luck. So I went looking for proof (being a fan of science) (and being convinced that it might be Google and not the stars actually running our lives). I could find nothing that suggested that geese flying over your house was good luck, but I did find that finding a goose feather was good luck (and how do you get geese feathers without them flying overhead?).

All of this reminded me of two other sayings that generally make me chuckle:

1. "It's good luck when it rains on your wedding day." I firmly believe this is merely a consolation for those who have rain on their wedding day (we had rain on our wedding day).

2. "Cold hands warm heart." If this is true then perhaps my heart is singularly responsible for global warming. Sorry everyone!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

You know what always gets a good laugh?

Old person (to me): Oh, your hands are so warm! That's nice.

me (responding to old person): Well, you know what they say... warm hands (draumatic pause) cold heart...

old person: (ha-ha-ha) you are too much!