Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Lions and tigers and bears

It is generally well known that Tracy and I don't really do pets. We don't mind cats per se, but we don't desire them in our own home. We definitely don't do dogs. Well, except for that one time we considered getting a toy poodle. I'm chalking that crazy notion up to the Adopt a Pet bus that stopped by work. Suckers.

Our neighbors have 3 dogs (rapidly expanding in number since their only child left for college). They yap. A lot. So, yesterday I walked over to the fence that divides us to say hi and drop the news that we're having a baby. I could almost hear her mind scream, Wait! Wait! I need a drink first! While we were attempting to describe the inner-workings of a lesbian pregnancy, the dogs would not stop yapping. So I did the unthinkable. I let the dogs lick, yes lick, my hand until the conversation was over. I promptly scoured my hand with hot water. And the whole prompted Tracy to utter this unforgettable line:

"I was just going to go over and kill that dog, but you did the right thing."

Sorry Bean, you're going to need some serious lower lip action to get a pet that has fur. Fair warning.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Side bar: I want a dog way more than I want a cat... I just can't get past that "carrying poo in a bag requirement."