Sunday, April 01, 2007

Political

Gay Marriage is on the legislative agenda again in CT.
Last Monday, there was public testimony for bill #7395, An Act Concerning Marriage Equality.

Testimony began at 12 noon. I listened to a little at work and then came home and watched on line until the end (after 11pm). There is some room for honest disagreement here, but there are some wack jobs out there. I could not justify taking the day off work to go testify, and this issue affects me DIRECTLY. If I had taken the day off, I'm not entirely sure I would have lasted the 8-12 hours necessary to speak my mind for the 3 allotted minutes. But still there were opponents of the measure, who have such a strong interest and desire in keeping Kt and I from getting "married" that they thought it was perfectly rational to wait all day to "testify" about what God intended (so nice to have an inside view of the Creator's mind) and the damage that would be inflicted on society if we open a legal term and contract to all citizens.

There were a few priceless moments, and there are hardly any politicos who speak as succinctly on the issue as one of my favorite funny ladies: Wanda Sykes. She basically says:
1) The government should not be involved in this.
2) If you don't believe in same sex marriage, don't get married to someone of the same sex.
3) The biggest threat to marriage is not same sex marriage, it is divorce.
Her entire album is hilarious, you can hear clips here.

If you live in CT and you want to support this bill, write or call your Legislators. Also, contact the governor's office (M.Jodi Rell has promised to veto any marriage equality bill the legislature passes.) For extra measure, consider donating time or money to Love makes a family - these people are tireless and brave in their efforts to win some rights for my family.

No comments: