Wednesday, September 12, 2007

36 Week Prenatal Appointment

Holy CRAP... Look over at the pregnancy ticker- I'm nine months pregnant!!!

So, I had an OB visit yesterday with New Doctor On the BLOCK (NewDOB)- who wanted me to know that she wasn't NEW to either the practice or to practicing... This is a trick I have used before- it doesn't work. If you are younger than me, and you are an OB/GYN, you are "new" at least relatively speaking. Apparently NewDOB did her residency "here" (meaning at this practice or in New England- I am not clear.) And then "practiced" in New Jersey, which I would bet about 50 bucks was her fellowship or something. She missed the point that I don't give a flying duck if she is new, I was just making small talk. Also, the only "New" providers that make me nervous are the ones that try to pretend they have TONS of experience... Knowing what you don't know is important in health care.

Anyway, as described in some other posts, I'm starting to feel large and uncomfortable. I'm up 4 lbs in 2 weeks- which NewDOB attributed to "some swelling". She said, most people tend to gain a little wt at this point b/c they are not feeling that well, and eating more, and moving less... (which is true on all accounts for me) then she said, "But clearly you have been watching what you have been eating this whole pregnancy, so this is probably swelling."

Hmm. Interesting assessment and intellectual leap, having known me all of 190 seconds and not having consulted my chart prior to the visit to note my baby's gender or my due date... THOUGH... you are correct... I did actually watch every bite of that pork fried rice that went into my mouth yesterday after I was finished digesting that large chocolate milkshake (Thank you very much for noticing!)

Seriously though, she's the first of the providers in the practice to mention my total wt gain at all and her remark made me realize that no matter what people say about your wt, it's bound to piss most patients off unless you just say, "GREAT JOB!!!" I've been a little confused as to why no one has mentioned my wt, my over-wt starting point, and/or lack of considerable wt gain, etc. But now I realize- after a while in private practice, this must just be a lose-lose, yellow-caution-tape, danger area of patient interaction; where you are more likely to alienate pts than encourage or educate them... What business person medical professional in an environment of competitive fee for bundled maternity services wants to do that?!?

Anyway, after reviewing my vitals:
HR 99, BP 126/78, wt: previously mentioned

She measured my uterus.
NewDOB: okay
t: what was it?
NewDOB: it measured normal
t: 36cm then?
NewDOB: (seemingly annoyed) yes

I guess she doesn't know I have a blog to report this info on.

And then checked the baby's HR. Everyone in the last 2 months has felt that the baby's back is on my body's right side and therefore started searching for the HR on that side. NewDOB started on the left and got my aortic pulse 3 times before she muttered, "I hate this Doppler" and made her way west across my abdomen. I rolled my eyes in pity for her unimaginative, lame excuse.

Whoosh-whoosh-whoosh-whoosh...
NewDOB: (taking Doppler off after about 10 sec.) Okay.
t: What is it?
NewDOB: Huh?
t: The rate is good?
NewDOB: Yes.

I guess next time I'm going to have to explain I have a blog to report these vital stats on...
It sounded to be about 140's to me.

Things got a little better in the Q and A session...
I have been doing a lot of reading, and suddenly, I'm wanting someone to tell me exactly how this is gonna go down- even though I KNOW that no one knows EXACTLY how this is gonna go down. At the end of the visit NewDOB smiled, held the chart to her chest and said to me pleasantly, the baby is still high and "floating" but really, it could be any time now. I smiled politely as if to say, "Perfect. I'm totally comfortable with that pronouncement," and nodded slowly as not to tip her off to all the panicked screaming that had started inside my head.

No comments: