Monday, September 10, 2007

Shower Mania


This weekend was our baby shower weekend.

The parties- that's right, I said it- partiES were amazing!
The day started with a few hours of beautification/quality time with my mom and sister. Mom treated to hair and make-up designs. Well, I did my own hair, but got the thumbs up from Hottie McFantasy (my mom's sexy, hip-hop, female stylist) We looked fantastic when it was over.

When my sister suggested to me several weeks ago that she "wanted to pay for me to get my make up done the day of my shower." I have to admit, I didn't know if she was trying to give me some kind of hint. Like that time I got a facial and the woman asked several times during the treatment if i ever washed my face. Then at the end she held nothing back: "Normally at this time, I give a recommendation for products that a client might buy and use. But PLEASE, I IMPLORE you, just wash your face... TWO times a DAY." I still can't believe I endured that lady's final eye roll and left a tip for her when I paid. I HAVE LARGE PORES AND MY FATHER'S FAMILY'S SKIN! THAT'S WHY YOU GET PAID THE BIG BUCKS... TO DEAL WITH IT ALL A FEW TIMES A YEAR, LADY!!!

Anyway... I'm a simple girl, I do lipstick and gloss and sometimes, on big occassions, mascara and foundation; but it always seems like a bad idea on a hot, humid day.

I realized on Saturday that my sister just knew that after her haircut and make up job she would be totally adorable and didn't want me to look pale or less stunning in the photos we took together. (It's good to have a sis that knows about these things!)

From there we met Katy at the restaurant for formal yummies at the "family shower." Katy brought Kate and Marnie who came in from out of town and spent the rest of the day undertaking various Sherpa duties. Food was enjoyed, presents were unwrapped and then loaded up into cars. Katy made me cry with a sweet presentation that started with heartfelt flattery of how gracefully I've been handling this pregnancy and ended with a diper-bag stuffed with a portable DVD player and 3 seasons of The Office as well as funny lady, Kathy Griffin DVDs. I've been asking for some stand up comedy to distract me during labor. (Let's hope it works.)

Then we moved to my mom's house for a costume change and last minute preparations for the evening, less-formal, "friends" shower. Try to remember- though I have not mentioned it nearly often enough- that my sister is enjoying the exact same gestational period as I am. Also, during the fetus forming exercises, she has a job that takes her out of town on business 1 to 3 days a week, and she raises an 18 month old with her capable and loving husband. Many people that know me, know I am an adept party thrower and in general an effective, productive member of society. But truth is, my sister and my mother both make me look like a stumbling drunk in the kitchen. The food was fantastic. It looked even better than it tasted and it tasted great. There was shrimp and kielbasi and meatballs. There was sesame noodles on endive. There were southwest egg rolls stuffed, wrapped, and fried by hand. There were topieries. (Some people just put the fruit and the antipasto on a platter... my sister creates antipasto and fruit topieries.) It was pretty effing awesome. But mostly, there was laughter and love and good, good friends.

At the end of the night, some nurses closed down the party. And as frequently happens, I left feeling literally wounded and exhausted from laughter. I hope the boy inside of me appreciated that this is what his life will be like, all that shaking and jostling was the insanity of a full, busy day of celebration. I know he can't possibly know that this is what he is about to be born into, but this is it... An over-booked, busy life full of friends and family that will fill his house with things we need (and with crap we might not even need) to symbolically say, "We are here to give you these things but also everything else intangible that you seek in terms of well wishes, support, love, and our presence." He has moms that really love each other and are committed to supporting and growing with and near each other. Extended family that rejoice in our happiness and keeping our family in their thoughts and prayers. An aunt who will work all day, put her kid to bed, pat her very pregnant belly, and stay up until insane hours 4 nights in a row to get the food for the party is just right.

And peeps that really care- from north, south, east, west- despite differences of style, composition, upbringing, and opinion. Protective family and friends that are eager and excited to watch and make this journey with him.

1 comment:

Grand Marnier said...

this post makes me all teary-eyed just thinking about this weekend. I am so glad that I was there to share in the happiness!!