Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year

We got a snowy-ish, slush "storm" today which gave us a good excuse to get home and stay put all day. (Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.)

I made chicken pot pie and the dinner and the quiet, family time were yummy.

We ended the year a little like we started it; preparing for a funeral. Yet our lives are so utterly different than they were 12 months ago.

At this time last year, Katy and I intended to resume fertility efforts sometime around March. We figured if we were lucky, we might have a child in early '08. Acting like a couple of hets who "are not really trying, but not really not trying." We messed around with some seemingly innocuous frozen sperm, and here we are... a family.

I have to say, I am deep on the exhausted side of tired. Running ragged on maternity leave might be catching up with me. The idea of burying my gram on Friday and attending a wedding this Saturday in NYC seems asinine. I feel all beat up and stuff. I cannot count the number of women who felt free to tell me during my pregnancy (after I said that I was having trouble sleeping) "You think you're tired now, just wait until the baby is born..." I thought that was really, REALLY, SUPER UN-helpful... But I guess I have to admit those bitches were right. I prefer to think that they were coincidentally lucky with their best guesses about how tired I would be, but whatever.

Bottom line: I pushed it hard when I was pregnant, and I never felt this exhausted. But there is a second bottom line: this kid is rocking our world in all ways that are good.

Happy New Year!
And to all a good night.

1 comment:

C-LO said...

p.s, i love chicken pot pie!!!