Saturday, February 11, 2006

Can superstitions affect a wedding not recognized by the state?

It appears that 2 startling events have occurred at locations central to our wedding celebration 2 Septembers ago. There was a shoot-out at the very cozy and posh EconoLodge on Lily Pond Avenue where Katy and I drank with our friends until approximately 4:30 am and then passed out for our first 3 hours of sleep together as a married* couple. It was not so much a "shoot out" as a man's unsuccessful attempt to rob the lobby. When an unopenable safe thwarted his efforts, he shot a few rounds into the walls (so unnecessary.) I understand that frustration can sometime have physical ramifications, but this is why I don't carry a gun: because my cell phone takes enough of a beating every time my Cingular service fails me, and the walls of my home are in enough danger every time I am using a wrench that slips and rips up my knuckles open.

This news report comes as no surprise to some west-coast Webers who spent a unsettling first night at the E'Lodge in 2004. When you grow up in Cheshire, 5 police cars in a parking lot could be anything from a fundraiser to a cookie-swap to a rowdy band of high school kids drinking in the woods. Something more serious would require more manpower. But anytime 5 cruisers converge on a New Haven hotel's parking lot, you're wise to create bedding for your toddlers in the middle of the bathtub and turn up Dora the Explorer - keeping yourself somewhere away from the windows.

Also, Thursday of this week, the popular hot spot Bar on Crown Street in New Haven had a structure fire. All four walls were left standing, but the word is that the inside of the joint is badly burnt up (and now flooded.) Bar is relevant in our family history. Not only is the back room at Bar the first local place I saw chicks getting busy together in my younger years, it was later the splintered-glass and dusty setting of our rehearsal dinner. (Flashback to me grabbing a nubile, waif-like waitress squarely on both shoulders and staring with wide and serious eyes after 15 minutes of non-service to articulate: "We NEED DRINKS! We are trying to have a gay wedding here, and I don't think we can properly do that without alcohol." She moved her head in a staccato nod that indicated understanding and tiny amounts of fear as she stared at the cell phone trapped between my right hand and her left shoulder.) I digress... Bar was also where Katy and I met for the first time. We had a delightful conversation about RENT, a play she had never seen.

I would just like to say that if I find out that Brian Brown was responsible for burning down Bar, I am going to be pissed!!! This guy is a serious threat to the institution of marriage!

*Friendly reminder to family and friends, though we call ourselves married and feel married and believe that church and loved ones bless a marriage (not the government,) we still can't file our income taxes together, or collect social security, or be protected as a family when we travel to other states because there was a federal law passed in 1996 that says that no matter what each individual state decides, the federal government will not treat committed same-sex relationships the way it treats committed opposite-sex relationships. If you're interested, there are important organizations working to change this situation. Become a member or give time or money to: Love Makes a Family, Lambda Legal, The Human Rights Campaign.

No comments: