Saturday, February 25, 2006

Serious about lipstick

This morning I had the pleasure of visiting our local mall in order to purchase lipstick. I know, I know, those of you who knew me in college (the early years) are probably thinking, LIPSTICK? But I had the good fortune of receiving a tube on my departure from Community Health Services from the nurse practitioner who was taking on my panel of patients. She wore lipstick nearly every day and it really made me think... "It's time to get serious about lipstick." So she bought me a tube (something that requires skill as I would never know which shade to purchase) and I wear it nearly every day. It's down to a nubbin' now, so it was time to venture to the Mac store for my first purchase.

The mall is a strange place in general, but it is particularly interesting in the early morning when there are hardly any other customers around. I was greeted by two sensations at once: the powerful smell of pretzels cooking (Auntie Ann, my fave) and the sound of elevator music. As I traveled past the bajillions of stores to get to the one I was looking for I experienced them as they are presented and not as a teeming mass of people.... the overpowering and somewhat disgusting smell of Yankee Candle, the overpowering and definitely disgusting smell of Sephora, the sneaky smell of teenage boys cologne from the Abercrombie & Fitch store that reminds me of college (is that wrong?), the extreme sparkle of jewelery stores, and, of course, the flamboyant gay man at the Mac store who told me in no less than 15 different pitches of his voice that, yes, 3-D Frost was still available.

The trip left me feeling like I was part of a car commercial where the car drives through different seasons.

2 comments:

dl004d said...

I'd watch that commercial.

Cue Katie walking through the mall. Words flash on the screen: "It's time to get serious about lipstick." Katie sees the Auntie Ann pretzels and pauses. But she's on a mission. Suddenly, the Mac store suddenly comes into focus...

dl004d said...

(In the commercial, they'd spell Katy's name correctly though.)