Sunday, June 25, 2006

Doogie Howser, APRN

My trip back from Dallas was nearly as harrowing as the trip out, but I was so happy to get home I didn't really care. I took a chance and went to the airport early thinking I could convince one airline to transfer my ticket to another so that I could go on a direct flight instead. That is the only reason I made it home: my original flight had been cancelled unbeknownst to me and thus my wish was granted. Had I not gone early I would have never made that flight. Needless to say, my bag didn't make the flight, but some dear person from the airline dropped it off on my front porch somewhere around 3 this morning.

A couple of interesting things that happened at the conference: I got to see the Surgeon General speak (more on that later). I was stopped while going to one of my classes by a woman who's only purpose for stopping me was to make this comment: "Oh my god, you're 15 and you're an NP!". I experienced for the first time the massive exhibit hall that is home to a myriad of drug companies and other people who want to sell something. It was truly unbelievable how much money went in to trying to convince us to prescribe certain drugs. My fellow conference attendees were absolutely devoted to getting as many bags, pens, and gadgets as possible. It was truly an amazing sight. The resort itself was huge, and I quite enjoyed afternoons by the pool (when my bag arrived 2 days after I did).

Needless to say, I'm glad to be back home, with all my stuff (plus a new outfit and some new underwear). We leave to visit all my parents on Friday, but luckily it's a direct flight!

2 comments:

dl004d said...

That's horrible about all the drug companies hawking their wares. How disgusting. They should be ashamed. Oh, but did you get me any of those pens? My Xantac pen went dry the other day.

By the way, I used to watch Doogie Howser every Wednesday (mostly because I had a crush on Doogie's girlfriend Wanda).

Tracy said...

Mmmmmm... Wanda...