Friday, August 24, 2007

Indigo Girls Rock the Tent!

Hesitantly, we traveled to Hyannis last night for an Indigo Girls concert. We were all three "quietly hesitant" as in - we didn't mention it until we were on the way home b/c 1) How many times can you see the Indigo Girls? 2) When do you "out grow" their music? 3) $65 to battle traffic and summer humidity in a buggy tent???

Anyway, fears unfounded. The concert was awesome. The $ well-spent. The opening act (Girlyman) was the best opening act I've ever seen. They must have released some tickets at the last minute, b/c 2 days before the concert, we bought 4th row seats near the revolving stage on Ticketmaster-dot-com. I could see Amy Ray and Emily Salier's facial expressions, jewelry, sweat-beaded brows, and excited spittle. It was only the girls and their guitars, no band, nothing fancy... pure music! The venue was packed- a crowd of about 2400 most of whom knew every lyric to every song.

The bean was rocking -out inside of me - going nuts!!! He either loved or hated his first concert, but he was jumpin', jammin', and slammin' all around his little womb-condo. I went home to find skin abrasions where my soaked, cotton bra had been rubbing against my flesh during the festivities (a result of my dancing around not his.)

Other highlights:
1) Dr. Brokeback's 20 minute diatribe throughout the extended remix version of Chicken Man. During which she revealed her theory that this song's prominent position on the Indigo Girls' concert play list is the reason for the pair's much discussed "strained relationship." ie -

Emily: I just can't do it again... "Chickenman, chickenman, chickenman hold my hand" I just can't go out there and do it again
Amy: You have to... the crowd loves it... it's my best song
Emily: No, it's not. No they don't. They just humor you... no one even understands the song... I just can't... I swear, I'll quit the band...

I laughed so hard I nearly pee'd my pants...

2) Katy using our pregnancy for the first time to secure a primo parking space... "My wife is 33 wks pregnant. Is there a place to park where we are not trapped in the lot?" Sure, park right here near the exit...

2 comments:

Amy said...

OMG! How funny! I just wrote a post about my "relationship" with the Girls, and my experience seeing them at the Melody Tent's "sister" venue just up the coast. Yeah, they rocked the... uh... tent in Cohasset, too. No Chickenman, though :( But I did find myself swooning a bit when Amy sang Romeo and Juliet.
Did Sara Lee show up on Friday night? She was there Saturday, and Girlyman provided the percussion and some backing vocals during the second part of the show. That little stage was really crowded!

Katy said...

I am now seriously disappointed that we got Chickenman instead of Romeo and Juliet! I am swooniing just imagining amy singing it...