Monday, May 29, 2006

I've been SERVED!!!

My sister said that she had never seen a double rainbow until she saw the photo on my blog. Yet, that same day, she drove into Boston and saw this:

(You've got to be a little impressed at how the Weber sisters are able to digitally document so many precious moments in our lives...)

Web forwarded the above pic with a note:
"Rainbow War - I took an even better double rainbow photo
last weekend from our hotel in Boston...post that MoFo...
I guess God doesn't only love 'the gays'."
Now before i start to get any irate emails, i would never imply that God doesn't love straight people just as much as s/he loves homos- whoever got that idea, obviously didn't click on the link to notice that:
1) , and 2)
I was only saying that: a) gay pride rainbow stickers are not the only place to see these fabulous colors all together in a row- apparently, sometimes, they show up in nature too... b) When you think about God not only deciding that the rainbow would be the eternal symbol of a covenant of love with all humanity AND that it would also become the symbol of civil rights/ GLBT equality, you can see that God must really 'love the gays'... Lastly, c) Think of the context of my double rainbow: Pregnant lesbians have a huge party- a baby shower for their expectant TWINS- on a day that is bookended by WEEKS of thunderous rain (and not a drop fell at their house during that party, mind you) but on the way home, the most amazing rainbow i have ever seen appears?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Please don't tell me THAT isn't a sign (of God's love)!!!

Well, I know it doesn't seem it, but the entire purpose of this post/tirade is to point out that not only is my sister the bomb, but she seems to be improving. I cannot believe that the rainbow she saw was more impressive than the one I saw, but certainly that is the case regarding our two pics... This woman (my sister) is truly superior to most humans in most matters. [I am not worthy.] I started this discussion to offer props for her digital photography skills and her general "luck" in rainbow chasing, but i could meander to any number of anecdotal stories and/or empirical evidence: her fertility, her domestic and professional capabilities, her "can do" attitude, her zen approach to mothering, and by the way, have you seen this kid?!?

Marc Cohn has a song called "She's becoming gold." It's hard to know for sure, but the song seems to be about the changes in his wife as she becomes a mother. I always liked this notion- that a woman truly transcends the bullshit and somehow communicates with all that is known and unknown at this tender time of rebirth and redefinition (woman to mother)... I could relate to the inspiration behind the song, but never really understood the way i do now the shock and awe of standing next to someone you thought you knew (someone you definitely know REALLY well) and realizing that she is changing- big time! She is not becoming someone different. She is exactly who she has always been, but she is better somehow. She is shimmering and growing and glowing in ways that no one could have envisioned, planned, predicted, or described.
When I see my sister now, I'm kind of speechless. Not that I didn't admire and look up to her before, but she definitely seems to have grown a third eye. All of the sudden, as if by magic, she is calmer and more compassionate; more understanding, more expressive AND more under-stated; funnier and more light-hearted; more aware and comfortable in her own skin; more able to spread these things to those around her. She is moving slower than me and faster than me at the same time. I don't have an inferiority complex, she's moving slower than YOU and faster than YOU too! It is humbling to be in her presence... She can practically make double rainbows appear at will, but then she can make you feel as if you were the reason she saw the rainbow at all.

No comments: