Thursday, June 21, 2007

"33"

Tonight I'm saying goodbye to my jesus year...

I'm a little sad about it.

Not sad to be getting older, and certainly not sad anticipating all the things that lie ahead this, next year. I'm surprised at how I've sort of started to enjoy watching the number that designates my age climb. There was a while where it seemed to be hard when that happened. And though I still whisper to myself each year: "not everyone gets to turn (insert age)," I'm proud of my years. Like my gray hairs, I've earned each one.

Though this last year was long and at times painful, it was mostly wonderful and full of very human, very fleshy, and ultimately- very life affirming experiences. Kt and i learned a little bit more about what marriage is all about. We spent a week at the beach with my family. We spent a week in Spain with her family. I watched in awe all year as my niece learned to laugh and eat, and walk, and to call out to us by name. We lost some dear friends to death, said goodbye as some moved far away, and rejoiced as several welcomed new babies into the world. We savored time with friends all year long. We grew our family figuratively and literally. We planted a bean that is currently turning into a boy.

I'm definately going to miss singing along with Five for Fighting: 100 years, especially this line:

I'm 33 for a moment.
Still "the man"
but you see I'm a "they"
A kid on the way -
a family on my mind.

I'm sure I'll still sing along when I hear the song, but I'll sing- knowing that this one, sweet moment (acknowledged, enjoyed, reveled in, blessed) has gently passed by.

I couldn't have asked for a more poignant year (which in my opinion is what a jesus-year is all about.)

No comments: