Friday, June 08, 2007

Ruffles and ginghum and flowers, oh my!

A word about maternity clothes:



There seriously needs to be a butchier line of maternity clothes...

Not just for the lesbians, either. I know a lot of people that don't wear any more floral patterns or ruffles than I do - it's got nothing to do with which gender makes your mouth water. There will be a perfectly reasonable maternity shirt or pair of band-waisted pants that will come only in totally insane fabrics or with a jacked up, femmed-out, or silly-ruffled collars!



I just can't partake... I just can't suddenly start doing the ruffle thing. It's not in my nature.

Question: Are there pregnant women that work?
Finding appropriate corporate wear -who am I kidding?- "corporate CASUAL" is difficult. It seems most women buying maternity clothes need to only dress for long walks in the park and/or play or study groups.

Here's a little something listed under "work wear":



True, this is a little fancy for a walk in the park. But what is her line of business? Selling perfume?!?

I'll admit that some of my trouble stems from the fact that my favorite place to shop is off the boys sales rack at Gap. Still, I maintain that the fact that my uterus is stretching to planetary proportions is enough to prove I'm a girl... I don't need to cultivate a botanical garden on my chest, and it is equally unnecessary for my clothes suddenly sprout ruffles.



Gingham... I'm trying not to even go there.
I haven't seen gingham on anything other than pocketbooks or shower curtains in the mall in the last 20 years. But every maternity department so far has a little section that looks like Dawn Wells' dressing room.

One more: Peasant blouses.
I am not a peasant. I've worked hard, as did my parents (and my parents' parents before them) for me to be able to report this economic reality. I have no animosity toward peasants of any kind. I do find myself holding in comtempt the maternity wear industry who seem to be disproportionally interested in supplying peasants with blouses.

I have to ask... when they are pregnant and shopping, Where do all the cowboys go???

1 comment:

Grand Marnier said...

Okay, I realize that this only solves one of the probelms--but have you seen these? I really want to know if they work!

http://www.mybbuckles.com/