Monday, June 25, 2007

6 month OB appt.

Met a new doctor yesterday. A tall, serious drink of water (TSDW).
Dr. M-D seemed to jump and prance around during a very short visit. Dr. TSDW stood like a tree and took a tiny bit more time.

All is well.

Weight is up 1.5 lbs since last month- brings the total increase from the first prenatal visit up to 6lbs. (This despite eating 4 hot dogs this weekend and one of the most decadent meal I've ever created/ingested on Saturday night.)

BP: 124/76

Urine: normal

Fundal height: normal @ 24 cm
SIDE NOTE: Why measure fundal ht in metric units but weight in lbs?!? The ever elusive science/culture wars...

Fetal heart rate: strong and regular, around 160 bpm.

The baby was moving all about during the abdominal exam. He was quiet until the MD put the Doppler jelly on my skin and I laughed knowing that he was going to try to kick Dr. TSDW. The heartbeat was loud but there was also some kind of crazy galloping noise and Dr. TSDW was like, "Whoa- he is really moving around in there!!!" 'YOU DON'T KNOW THE HALF OF IT,' I shouted in my mind, smiling. He said, "That's good- that's a sign of a healthy baby."

Q and A Session:
TT: Do I have to be worried about activity, doing yard work, golf, etc... I take it slow. I am staying well hydrated, I am feeling well, and I am not having any specific discomfort. I am getting some flack from people who think I shouldn't be this active.

Dr. TSDW: The guide for activity is, don't do anything where you are at risk for falling, like- riding a bike, mountain climbing, OR rugby*... we worry about falls b/c that puts you and the baby at risk. Other than that, like you said, stay hydrated, monitor your pulse and slow down if your pulse goes higher than 140-150 bpm.

TT: What's all this I've been reading about needing to sleep on your left side? Will my body know when this is important? Will I get light-headed if I am sleeping on my back and I shouldn't be, or is this a symptomless concern.
TSDW: **You'll get light-headed or won't be able to breathe if you are on your back and shouldn't be.

TT: We signed up for prenatal classes and Catholic Hospital marketing materials say 2 people are allowed to be with me when I'm in labor... I talked to Dr. KSBL about not wanting to be limited on how many people can be with me during a normal labor- in your experience, is this going to be a problem at Catholic Hospital.
TSDW: No. For the most part no. The hospital wants to be able to reserve the right to remove any family members that are disruptive to the unit and laboring process. ***

* The word Rugby was added by me for comedic affect, Dr TSDW is too serious to be this witty
** I am paraphrasing for the sake of brevity
*** Again, this is my version of his clumsy and kind-of-long answer

In the next few days or weeks, I have to get my 1 hr glucose test. This is a little worrisome for me b/c I know that if you develop gestational diabetes, you are very likely to develop insulin resistant, type 2 diabetes later in life... I don't want that. A lot of people I know have "failed" the one hour glucose test and had to take the 3 hour test which they "passed". I know this isn't a matter of "passing" or "failing" and all that matters is that my glucose levels are controlled so that baby boy bean doesn't get too big before it's time to be born, but I really want to "PASS" this one! Wish me luck!

No comments: