Monday, May 07, 2007

4 Month OB Appointment

Last week I went to my 4 month check up on Monday morning.
The only thing was, my appointment wasn't until Tuesday morning.

In choosing an OB, we made a kind of difficult decision to go close to home and not close to work. This puts me in the situation of having to be an hour or more late to work and/or leave work early every time I have an appointment. One time already, I drove the 45 minute commute to work, left after 2 hours to drive back for an 11:45 am appointment, and then did the whole commute over again to spend 4 more hours in the office. I did that I guess to show that, "this pregnancy is not going to slow me down," or some crap like that. There are so many things I do at my job that could be done with more efficiency in the quiet peacefulness of my home. In fact, I truly believe that if I worked one day a week from home, my productivity would increase by about 1000% because there would be the potential of 6-10 hrs of uninterrupted labor that might lead to me completing some projects. Unfortunately, a major aspect of my job - the part that interrupts what I think of as efficient productivity - requires me to be present, playing the part of corporate parent, sounding board, security guard, trouble-shooter, and clinical operations director (which is actually my title.) Anyhoo, this is the only reason that choosing an OB close to home was a question- in not-too-long, I will be going to the OB every other week, and then every few days, and at that point, my productivity at work maybe will fall to microscopic levels. I digress...

When I sheepishly asked at the office if they could fit me in rather than forcing me to repeat the schedule juggle the next day, my faith our just-barely-more-than randomly-chosen practice was reinforced; they did fit me in - quickly- without so much as a sigh or a roll of the eyes.

I met a different MD in the practice and she was great - she laughed at all my jokes, and answered all my questions and concerns in a reassuring manner:
Yes, it's normal to have some cramping of the lower abdominal muscles when I sneeze or cough...
Also normal to have a little positional vertigo...
No problem to head off to Spain in a few weeks...
It was a fine decision to wait until 21 weeks for the ultrasound...
If you're still okay with it, I'll throw out all this paperwork for the early testing you refused...
A total weight gain of 3 lbs so far; BP 120/70; baby's heartbeat STRONG.

So far, so good.

No comments: