Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Hola from España part dos

It´s Day 5 here in Barcelona. Yesterday we saw the Sagrada Familia, a temple/church of immense proportions that also happens to tell the story of the holy family in carved stone façades. It´s impressive to say the least. It isn´t complete despite approximately 125 years of work so there is lots of scaffolding. There are amazing stained glass windows with crazy beautiful colors peaking out around every corner. Tracy got some amazing shots of them while bored standing in line for the lift up one of the spires. There´s an amazing view of the city from there and also a staircase down that made my knees shake a little. I had to use some car sickness avoidance techniques to make it down without tears. Not that I would have fit down the middle of the very tiny spiral staircase, but still.

After our now daily afternoon nap the 5 of us headed off for our now favorite italian restaurant with a sweet waitstaff that recognizes us and gets the wine glasses ready. Until you´re 4 inches away from the doorway there is no sign of a restaurant, let alone a restaurant you´d want to eat in, but it´s quite cozy and delicious (i.e. many Katy options).

Today we explored two more Gaudí buildings, both exclusive homes made into apartment buildings and tourist attractions: Casa Batlló and Casa Milá. Casa Batlló wasn´t open to the public the last time Josh and I were here so that was something new and exciting for us. I can´t wait to load our pictures so everyone can see them!

It´s almost time for our nap so I´ll sign off for now. More later (or in 5 minutes when Tracy logs on!).

2 comments:

Grand Marnier said...

I'm loving the dispatches! I've never been to Spain, but David has been a couple times, so I am living vicariously through the blog. :)

If it's any consolation to you two, David and I have had moments in turbulence where we look at each other both wondering if we are going down. And I also have problems getting down from high places (David had to talk me down from the roof of a local Madison park one summer. That sounded much weirder than it was in real life.)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates it is great to visit Spain through your experiences!
Remember those planes are safer than they feel sometimes, the pilots well who knows!!!!
Say hi and hugs to all, can't wait to see Josh's art/photos.
love ya