Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Just one of her jobs...

In her "spare" time, my wife teaches a course at Yale. One morning a week, during her administrative time at her regular job, she heads to New Haven to teach the third year FNP students "clinical conference" - a course designed to get the group together to breakdown, analyze, and present cases from their individual clinical experiences. She has frequently joked that this course is little more than group therapy and her job is to constantly remind the students that they are doing well and will survive and probably thrive once they get "out there" after graduation.

She admits that this was one of her favorite courses when she was at YSN and loves teaching it because it keeps her focused, up to date, and of all the graduate level courses she has experienced, it is the one that seems extraordinarily geared toward reality. It is the practical information they share for 2 hours a week that keeps students attending this class when they are skipping other classes to complete research and/or attend to other high priorities (like a hunting for a job.)

Since before we left for Spain, Kt has been involved in an email conversation with her boss that went something like this:

Boss: I'll see you at graduation.
kt: I don't think I will be able to attend graduation ceremonies this year.
Boss: You really should go.
kt: Thank you. I would love to go, but I will be just getting back from Spain that same day.
B: Great. I'll send you a ticket.
Kt: Um... thank you again, but it will be terribly difficult to make it.
B: You really should attend. I think you will want to be there.

You get the point, it went on and on and on.

Finally, assuming that her job was on the line, kt requested a ticket for me to attend also. There was some private discussion between my wife and me about the possibility that Kt might be winning some kind of award as one of the more cryptic lines in an email said something like, "I don't want to let the cat out of the bag..."

When we arrived at the ceremony all sweaty (it's much more humid here than in Barcelona) and jet-lagged, I looked at the program and reminded my wife that there might be nothing more in this day for her save a "Will all the part time faculty please stand for a round of applause..."

We high-fived our favorite teachers and students as they processed in and sat through what was actually a quite inspiring commencement address by Loretta Sweet Jemmott, PhD, RN, F.A.A.N. It would have been enough to justify our drive down, but then one of Kt's students got up to present the Annie W. Goodrich Award for Excellence in Teaching.

From the introduction I thought it might be Kt's name that was eventually called, but understand- the criteria for this award implies that this should be a full time professor- available above and beyond... wisdom... expertise... devotion to students... dedication to nursing education. Also, understand that I somehow learned a pervasive tendency to expect the other shoe to drop at all times, so I don't like to get hopes up- it could be bad luck, or-alternatively- it might indicate a tendancy toward egomania... Anyway, in the middle of my internal, mental debate, I got to hear my sweetie's name called and watch her parade up on stage in front of all the tenured faculty and highly respected, robed guests in attendance. She gave a nervous and humble thank you, expressed gratitude to her teachers, mentors, and students, and made it off the stage without shedding a tear or shitting her pants (both of which I almost did just sitting, stunned in the audience.)

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A BIG DEAL. This is the only teaching award offered once a year at the Yale School of Nursing. Previous winners have written the text books of the courses they teach and changed (literally) the face and process of nursing and education. It is a student nominated award that must be approved by the faculty and dean. But the truth is, as noted above, getting student to take the time to submit nominations is not always easy at this point (immediately prior to graduation) in their academic careers. Often, the nominations come from PhD candidates who wish to acknowledge their advisors.

It seems Katy's students pulled a coup- all 10 of them spent time writing out detailed nomination essays because they felt this award represented what she offered them. It might have been a rebellious, smirking nod intended to mark their personal (FNP) stamp on their graduation ceremony. But it could not have been a more clear or sweet show of respect for my wife who does go above and beyond in her wisdom, expertise, and dedication. Also clear and very thrilling was the obvious pleasure of the dean and many of the faculty- who were our teachers and some of whom have become our friends. One said to Kt: "I just think it is absolutely the coolest thing!"

So another highlight of an already fantastic month was witnessing my wife collect the
2007 Annie W. Goodrich Award for Excellence in Teaching.
It was a truly wonderful experience and I'm just so proud!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

David read this post aloud to me this evening and I teared up. Way to go, Katy! Can you be my teacher? We are proud!

Adam Hirsch said...

Whooo! That is utterly and awesomely cool!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you didn't shead a tear upon receiving the Goodrich Award for Excellence in Teaching but I sure did. Katy your the best! We all knew it and now Yale does too, you go girl. Love Ya