Monday, May 21, 2007

Hola from España

We are here and the weather is perfect... I only start with the weather b/c it is so perfect right now... it is 23 degrees (I think that is about 75 F) with a perfect breeze. We just came from the Parc Guell... Which was quite amazing.

The flight was pretty horrific though I tried to put on a tough act:

First, the plane blew a fuse on the runway and had to be towed back to the gate. Twice.

Of course, that´s what I´m assuming happened. All we really know is that the power when out on the airbus.

Twice.
Before take-off.

Then, after is seemed like they "plugged us in" for a while, we waited in line for take off. And took off... without crashing... which, frankly- I never thought would happen.

Later, KT and I admitted to each other that we both thought that we were going to die... that we were going down... that there was no way we would maintain power while in the air for the entire trans-Atlantic flight. She kept her cool, though, and when I expressed concern responded in a non-plussed manner: "If you´re really concerned, let me know, I´ll tell them to let us off." If she had said, "I know, I think we´re going to die," to my, "This doesn´t look good for a safe arrival." I´m pretty sure I would have started screaming, "LET ME OUTTA HERE!" Fortunately, she did not show the slightest hint of fear and we did not, therefore, make a collective spectacle of ourselves.

We landed without incident, exhuasted and me with 2+ pitting edema bilaterally up to my knees. I´m not going to lie, that freaked me out a little, but I have a lot of extra fluid on board, and I guess it is to be expected...

The apartment is pretty awesome, located right on Las Ramblas. The Ramblas feels a little like Boston to me. Also, I woke up the first morning and thought that I was in France because all the drunk Catalian songs and screams sounded more like French than Spanish to me. It is loud at night, and it is a narrow stairwell that puts 92 steps between the lobby door and our rented pad, but the location cannot be beat!!! The Mediterranean Sea is about a 1/2 mile to the West of our stoop. And though hospitible beaches are not necessarily within walking distance, I can smell the ocean air at all times. (TT very happy.)

The bean is doing well. S/he is keeping to his/her self, not causing any trouble, and we are exceedingly happy just knowing s/he is on the way. This time together with each other and family is just what the Dr(NP) ordered, not only because having the opportunity to visit an ancient city is wonderful, but also because the busy lifestyle and fatigue have significantly reduced my physical activity in the last few months, and being out in open air- walking, hiking, (and climbing 92 steps 3 to 4 times a day) feels really amazing!!!

More to follow... Peace.

PS- The internet cafe across the street from our apt is attached to a SUBWAY, so every time I write a post it will smell like the summer of ´92 to me :)

No comments: