Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Anniversary

I try not to, but I still hate October 17th.

10 years ago today, I was in New Orleans and there was an accident back home that took the life of a really amazing guy. A true BFF. He was a wise, old heart wrapped in a wildly energetic body.

When I got pregnant in January, and i first looked at the pregnancy wheel, I thought for sure our son would be born on October 17th.

I'm glad he wasn't.
He's nobody's replacement, he's got his own life to live.

Secondly, I'm not down with celebrating Ocotber 17th. I'll celebrate the boy/man that fell that day in '97 - all the things he stood for, his generous spirit, witty ways, all I learned from him... but I'm glad it ended up that we don't have to celebrate this day.

Besides, I can't imagine having had to wait this much longer to meet our little boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oye. This is a tough week, isn't it, honey? Hang in there and know that we're sending you lots of hugs from across the land. Are you pumping so you guys can take shifts? You MUST sleep and it's the only way. Love you. Love you. Love you.
F