Monday, February 04, 2008

Your spelling like you're brain is dead

Ever since I've had this baby, I've noticed some decrease in brain function.
I'm not kidding and I'm not saying it's the baby's fault, but I want it out there in the universe that I am actively fighting this (potentially hopeless) battle.

Writing this blog before, during, and after conception and delivery has put me in tune with the mental slip and slide. I'm an obsessive proof-reader. This will horrify some of you who were assuming that my typos and mistakes were because i am so carefree and hit "publish" without a moment's reconsideration of word choice, syntax, spelling, and creative (over) use of commas (and parentheses... and ellipses- and incorrectly spaced dashes.) Not so, my fans and friends. I am pathetic in the time I waste allocate to proofreading.

And what I've learned in the last few months is my brain has lost it's grasp on homophones. No, this is not a gay rights post. I keep catching myself writing "their" when I meant "there" or "they're," or "whine" when I meant "wine," or "you're" when i meant "your," or (God-forbid) "to" or "two" when I meant "too."

It is upsetting. Mostly because I am a snob about this and it never fails to irk me when a homophone is used wrong. Now I am like a man who is losing his sight, who has always scoffed at the fact that others have needed glasses.

I'll keep pushing my tiny brain to fight the good fight, but I have to warn you that at this time, I cannot be held responsible for mis-using the following words.

3 comments:

Adam Hirsch said...

Misplaced homophones bug the everliving crap out of me, too! Does your wife call you a weenie when you get irritated because of a "there/they're/their" mixup? Mine does. :)

Anonymous said...

This is happening to me, two/to/too! And it is very annoying. The only positive thing I can say about it is it doesn't seem to be worsening over time (I've been afflicted for over won year).

Amy said...

LT had this same problem after she birthed the kidlet, except that her problem was with word retreival. She kept saying that the baby stole her brain. It got better eventually (or maybe we just stopped noticing). I think of it as the proce you pay to have a bright, intelligent kid.